Our soon-to-be 1st grader's Kindergarden teacher's parting words to us (whew- that's a mouthful) were: "Keep up her reading over the summer!!". Aye Aye Captain!
We've been trying to do that in a few different ways.
First, giving her books she can read mostly by herself. These are some of her favorites:
1. Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain. These are the I Can Read version: same great stories with fewer words.
2. Mouse Tales and Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel
3. George and Martha by James Marshall
Second, introducing chapter books that we are reading together. We read these, a couple of chapters at a time, at night. Here's what's we've been reading:
1. Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures by Jeff Brown and Macky Pamintuan. Fun books, and not too long (we read them in a few nights).
2. Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Third, we try to get her to read books to her younger siblings. These are usually board books that she is SUPER familiar with, and she likes being the "teacher".
And finally, we got her a library card and signed her up for the Summer Reading program. She LOVES checking out books by herself!
Here are some good articles about kids and reading:
1. ...Why My Books Really Are 12-Up
2. Addictive Summer Reading Lists
3. 10 Ways to Motivate Your Child to Love Reading