Sunday, June 26

Gyotaku

I love our local library.  It's small, and nothing fancy... but a couple of times a year they have great book sales, where I buy lots of kids books for SUPER cheap. They also have great programs, like the summer reading program where we go in each week to claim our prize for reading books!  And they also do the occasional workshop.  Today they had a great workshop on Gyotaku.  

What is Gyotaku?  Gyo (fish) Taku (rubbing)
"Gyotaku is a time honored, traditional Japanese art, that is captured on a piece of shoji paper for the keepsake of the family, and friends, and fishers to come. Once the print is complete, the non-toxic paint is washed off, and the fish is cleaned to be cooked. It is quite simple and pure, as it has been for over 200 years. We fish to eat, and print what we fish to remember and share the experience.  That is what Gyotaku is all about."- Naoki Hayashi
(The non-toxic ink is called Sumi Ink)
Check out these BEAUTIFUL Gyotaku prints by Naoki
I had never seen (or heard of) Gyotaku before living in Hawaii, but I fell in love the first time I saw them.  I love how they capture the movement and life of the fish.  A few years ago, Josh gave me this Uhu (or Parrotfish) print by Shane Hamamoto. Isn't it beautiful? 

Today's workshop was taught by Dane Kai Kondo.  He explained the whole process, and then we got to try it out! It was so much fun!!  Here are my attempts at Gyotaku:

I tried (rather poorly) to recreate what the fish really looked like.

My 6yr old, on the other hand, had a great time making all sorts of different fish!




I think she did a great job!
Want to see how it's done? 
Check out this video!  

No comments:

Post a Comment