Saturday, August 7

The Pee-Pee Tee-Pee...


...Or as our then-4 yr old started calling them (after I explained what their purpose was) "Penis Hats". A few months ago, one of my best friends had her first baby- a boy! While she was pregnant we had a conversation about the need for good hand-eye coordination when changing baby boy diapers (I wouldn't really know- I have 2 girls- but I have heard stories), and after watching this hilarious commercial, I knew I needed to make some pee-pee tee-pees for her. Turns out they were super easy to make:

1. Make a template.
Cut out a circle with a 7" diameter on a piece of paper. I couldn't find a single plate, bowl, or container in my house that size, so I had to pull out my handy compass. Next, draw a line across the middle, and another marking a 45°angle from the center line and cut out the big "slice". So you should be left with 225° of circle. (huh?!)
2. Make the Tee Pee.
Gather two 7" x 5" pieces of fabric. I chose flannel because it's soft and absorbent and I wanted to make them reversible. You could use any combination of fabrics, as long as at least one side is somewhat absorbent. Place the two pieces of fabric on top of each other, with right sides together, and pin the template on top of it, making a three layer sandwich. Cut out the fabric, remove the paper and pin it back together keeping the right sides together.
Sew the two pieces together, leaving an opening to turn it right side out. I found it easiest to sew all the way around the circle and sew the corners, leaving a small opening on a straight side. Turns out it's easier to sew a straight side shut, than a curved one! Imagine that!
Now fold the two short straight sides over each other to form a cone shape and sew it up. And there you have it! A Pee-Pee Tee-Pee! Not sure how useful they really are (think wiggly baby), but they made me laugh and they were easy to make! It would be cute to make a matching Pee-Pee Tee-Pee/ Burp Cloth set for a baby shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment